Oral sedation dentistry is the use of medication to help patients relax during their dental appointments. Dentists can use sedation from a simple routine cleaning to other invasive procedures like gum surgery or dental implants.
Dentophobia is the fear of dentists. This is a common phobia among a lot of people of all ages. It does not only apply to kids. Being afraid to go to the dentist causes potential dental complications in the future. This can stand in the way of routine dental cleanings and examinations. Not going to your New Hamburg dentist right away when suffering from broken teeth can lead to its serious damage. Instead of repairing it with a filling, your dentist might take it out because of how severe the decay is. It is important to preserve your natural teeth as much as possible.
Who is a candidate of oral sedation?
- Someone who is suffering from dental fear or anxiety
- Having a sensitive gag reflex can make appointments challenging for you
The difference between oral sedation and other forms of sedation in dentistry
The dose given during oral sedation can range from minimal to moderate. For minimal sedation, you will only take a pill. The pill is within the same drug family as Valium. You will take this pill an hour before your dental procedure. The pill will make you drowsy but it will not knock you out unconscious.
Moderate sedation can cause you to fall asleep. However, the sleep is not deep enough that you will not wake up with a gentle nudge.
Nitrous oxide sedation
With this type of sedation, you breathe the nitrous oxide, combined with oxygen through a mask. After inhalation, you will feel a sense of calmness. Perception of pain and discomfort will also go down, thus making you more at ease.
Another name for this is “laughing gas.” During the year 1799, the British upper class does recreational inhalation of nitrous oxide. This is to induce euphoria or a feeling of intense happiness.
You receive IV sedation through a vein. Through this method, your New Hamburg dentist can easily adjust the level of sedation.
This means that you are asleep during the whole procedure. You are temporarily unconscious. When you are under deep sedation, you will not feel any pain. The administering of deep sedation will be under the advice of your dentist. This will depend on the procedure that you will undergo.
You will not easily wake up when under deep sedation.
The benefits of oral sedation
- This is easy to administer. Dentists consider oral sedation to be the easiest form of sedation. By the time you arrive for your dental appointment, you will be feeling calm and relax, ready for the procedure.
- It doesn’t need needles. There are certain patients who get scared of the mere thought of needles. Dentists administer IV sedation with needles.
- The use of oral sedatives is safe and it has no harmful side effects.
- You are awake during the procedure. Drowsiness is common but you are still responsive to the instructions of your dentist.
If you’re suffering from dental anxiety, then the breakthrough of oral sedation in the world of dentistry benefits you much. With this kind of sedation, you can go to your dental appointment with your New Hamburg dentist in a relaxed state of mind. You will feel happier and your oral health will greatly improve.